Personal Safety Tips
Most of our members, especially our long-time members, are trustworthy and safe to meet with.
As a result, violent interactions are very unlikely to occur. Nevertheless, you should always use your common sense and take extra precautions when you meet someone in person for the first time.
Here are some suggestions:
- Always view the profile of the person you plan to meet and look for following:
- High number of positive feedback
- Feedback should come from people you know or people who have good rapport in the community
- Long membership duration - Be extra careful with members who just joined a few days ago
- High activity - check post count, upvotes, and questions answered
- Always meet in a public, well-lit and highly visible place
- Always meet during the daytime
- Never invite strangers into your home
- Be careful when carrying large amounts of cash or expensive/rare items
- Keep family and friends informed about where you are going and how long you will be gone for
- Bring a phone with you
- Have someone accompany you
- Be aware of your surroundings
- In the event of a physical altercation, call the police instead of handling it yourself
Scam Prevention Tips
When interacting with our large group of friendly users, it's easy to get comfortable and forget that scammers exist and prey on communities like ours.
To avoid scams, here are some tips you should follow:
- Transact with people in person rather than through shipping
- Never send money to anyone before you meet them - either through mail, cheque and especially wire
- Never accept cheques even when they are certified - they could be fake.
- Never accept money orders - they could be fake
- Never disclose your personal information like your full address, banking info, social security, etc
- Always check the merchandise before completing a transaction
- Be extra careful with offers that are too good to be true
- Again, always check the user's profile for their feedback, activity and membership duration (see above)
As always, happy trading and be safe.